The Intermediate Step
The intermediate step in the Music Education Center’s continuum of performing ensembles, the Philharmonia Orchestra engages string, wind, brass, and percussion students in performing as a full orchestra under the baton of Marisa McLeod. To provide targeted training and experience with other repertoire, Philharmonia students also rehearse as a chamber strings group with Marisa McLeod and a symphonic wind band with Karen Dutton. Students in the Philharmonia Orchestra have two (2) or more years of study on a string, wind, brass, or percussion instrument.
- Weekly rehearsals led by conductor Marisa McLeod and instrument-specific sectionals led by local professional musicians.
- Three public performances at venues throughout Santa Barbara.
- Students and their families are provided opportunities to attend masterclasses, Santa Barbara Symphony concerts at reduced cost, and other musical community events
- Level: Intermediate
- Open to woodwind, brass, percussion, and string instrumentalists.
- Students rehearse during the school year from September through May.
- Rehearsal commitment is every Sunday from 3-5pm.
- Students are also expected to practice their instruments and review assigned material outside of scheduled programming.
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Student safety is our priority and we continue to closely monitor guidelines from the Public Health Department. Fall 2021 instruction will be conducted in-person with social distancing and safety precautions in place.
2021-2022 Audition Information
Out of an abundance of caution for the safety of our students, teachers, and staff during COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021-22 season auditions are moved to the online platform, Acceptd. This platform allows students to upload their video audition, answer application questions, and apply for tuition scholarships all in one place.
- Visit the Acceptd website to complete your application. Application and audition video are due August 2, 2021.
- Scales and Arpeggios:
- Violin players prepare a 1 octave E major scale with two notes slurred, and a 2 octave D major scale with two notes slurred, and a 2 octave scale of your choice with two notes slurred.
- Viola players prepare a 1 octave E major scale with two notes slurred, and a 2 octave G major scale with two notes slurred, and a 2 octave scale of your choice with two notes slurred.
- Cello players prepare a 1 octave E major scale with two notes slurred, and a 2 octave G major scale with two notes slurred, and a 2 octave scale of your choice with two notes slurred.
- Double Bass players prepare a 1 octave E major scale with two notes slurred, and two other scales of your choice with two notes slurred.
- Woodwind and brass players prepare a 2 octave major scale and arpeggio of your choice in any key up to four flats and four sharps AND a two-octave chromatic scale if possible.
- Audition Excerpts: download and prepare audition excerpts according to your instrument.
- A Solo Piece, which best demonstrates both technical and musical skills on the instrument (no accompanist needed).
- Percussionists please prepare a solo piece or excerpt on the snare drum.
As a non-profit, generous annual donations from Symphony supporters enable us to keep Tuition fees to a minimum. Tuition applies to the 2021-22 season. Need-based Scholarships are available and information regarding these can be found on the application form. Admitted musicians will not be turned away due to finances. If tuition is a challenge, please reach out to the Director of Education at 805-898-1417.
Support this program!
Would you like to join our family of donors and support this program? Annual donations at any level have a big impact. They can fund scholarships, help pay our faculty, provide instruments and more!