The First Step
The Camerata Ensemble, led by conductor Marisa McLeod, is comprised of musicians who are early in their musical training. It introduces students to the basics of ensemble playing, following a conductor, and listening across a musical group while playing. New this year is the addition of wind players to this ensemble who are coached by Karen Dutton. Students in the Camerata Ensemble have at least one (1) year of experience on their instrument (either in a group setting or private lessons).
- Weekly rehearsals led by conductor Marisa McLeod and instrument-specific sectionals led by local professional musicians.
- Three public performances at venues throughout Santa Barbara.
- Students and their families are provided opportunities to attend masterclasses, Santa Barbara Symphony concerts at reduced cost, and other musical community events.
- Level: beginner
- Open to woodwind, brass, percussion, and string instrumentalists.
Students rehearse during the school year from September through May.
- Rehearsal commitment is every Sunday from 1-2:30pm.
- Students are also expected to practice their instruments and review assigned material outside of scheduled programming.
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Student safety is our priority and we continue to closely monitor guidelines from the Public Health Department. Fall 2020 instruction will be conducted online with virtual sectionals, online masterclasses, and asynchronous digital content designed to enhance the experience. We will reevaluate how we deliver instruction in Spring 2021.
2020-21 Audition Information
Out of an abundance of caution for the safety of our students, teachers, and staff during COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020-21 season auditions were moved to the online platform, Acceptd. This platform allows students to upload their video audition, answer application questions, and apply for tuition scholarships all in one place.
Applications are now closed for the 2020-21 season. Students can review their submissions with the application link below.
- Visit the Acceptd website to complete your application:
- Scales and Arpeggios:
- String players prepare a one-octave major scale and arpeggio of your choice: A, D, C, or G or a two-octave major scale and arpeggio: C or G.
- Woodwind and brass players prepare a one-octave major scale and arpeggio of your choice: B-flat, E-flat, or F.
- A solo piece or excerpt, which best demonstrates both technical and musical skills on the instrument (no accompanist needed).
As a non-profit, generous annual donations from Symphony supporters enable us to keep Tuition fees to a minimum. Tuition applies to the 2020-21 season. Need-based Scholarships are available and information regarding these can be found on the application form. Admitted musicians will not be turned away due to finances. If tuition is a challenge, please reach out to the Director of Education at 805-898-1417.
Support this program!
Would you like to join our family of donors and support this program? Annual donations at any level have a big impact. They can fund scholarships, help pay our faculty, provide instruments and more!