Santa Barbara Youth Symphony
Note: Youth Symphony auditions are on August 23-25, 2019
Heralded as “…a prestigious group of young, talented musicians…” by Santa Barbara Seasons magazine, the Santa Barbara Youth Symphony brings together 70-80 gifted musicians, ages 12-18, from Santa Barbara and Ventura counties to perform works across the orchestral repertoire. Under the baton of Andy Radford, this advanced ensemble instills the discipline and commitment that budding young professionals need for the next step in their careers, whether in music or another field.
- Sunday, November 24, 2019, 4pm
- Sunday, February 23, 2020, 4pm
- Sunday, May 10, 2020, 4pm
Tuition fees cover the cost for the 2019-20 season. Scholarships are available and information regarding these can be found on the application form. Admitted musicians will not be turned away due to finances. If tuition is a challenge, please reach out.
2019-20 Audition Information
- August 23-24, 2019: Woodwinds, Brass, Percussion
- August 24-25, 2019: Violins, Violas, Cellos, Bass
To be announced.
- Fill out the application form (available in English and Spanish)
- Scales and Arpeggios:
- String players prepare a 3 octave major and minor scale and arpeggio of your choosing AND a 3 octave chromatic scale
- Woodwind and brass players prepare a 2 or 3 (if possible) octave scale and arpeggio of your choosing AND a two-octave chromatic scale
- Download and prepare audition excerpts according to an instrument
- A solo piece which best demonstrates both technical and musical skills on the instrument (no accompanist needed)
- Sight reading, as directed by the conductor
For more information, contact
Education Programs Manager